Try Dragon Boating for Free!
Your first 3 practices are FREE!
Come and join the club members who are a fun loving group of people that come from all walks of life. Join us for a great day on the Thea Foss Waterway in Commencement Bay.
- No experience at all is required!
- Don’t use the excuse that you’re not in shape – paddling works for Olympic class athletes and all the rest of us too!
- Open from ages 13 to 100, male and female!
- Life vests and paddles are provided
- Bring water to drink
- Don’t forget your sunglasses and sunblock!
- If you wear glasses, tie them around your neck since if they drop in the water, they’re gone
- Dress for the weather (Wear comfortable work-out clothes in layers during the cold weather and bring a change of dry clothes – Dragon boating is a water sport, so expect to get splashed a bit)
- Look at the practice times and locations below. Find a practice time and location that works for you and show up!
Unlike other dragon boating organizations in Washington,
we offer two paddling locations for you!
You can practice in both locations depending on your schedule.
In Tacoma we practice year-round, and our boats are on the dock at the Foss Waterway Seaport located at 705 Dock Street.
Tacoma Practice Times:
Thursdays at 6:00 pm
Sundays at 3:30 pm
In Olympia the boats are in the water from March through October at the Swantown Marina located at 1102 Marine Drive NE, Dock A.
Olympia Practice Times:
Wednesdays at 5:45 pm
Sundays at 1:00 pm
We also host other events for our members, just for fun! Check out the pictures of a summer evening cruise on the Odyssey, a 90’ yawl built in 1938, now owned and operated by the Sea Scouts in Tacoma.
As a member of WDBA, you are eligible to participate in any and all activities that WDBA sponsors, presents, or participates. In addition, you are entitled to participate in any dragon boat practice including the use of the equipment (boats, paddles, personal flotation devices) as well as availing yourself of the coaching provided. You will also be provided opportunities to participate in any dragon boat race that the organization may enter. Expenses related to participation in races (race fee, hotel, travel, food) are the responsibility of the paddlers. Occasionally the WDBA board has provided a subsidy for the race fees.
- Regular members: Annual membership dues it seventy-five dollars ($75).
- Lifetime members: A onetime membership dues of one thousand dollars ($1000).
- Family members: A family membership is for immediate family members aged 13 years of age or older. A maximum of five family members may be associated in a family membership. Annual membership dues is two hundred dollars ($200).
- Student members are individuals between the ages of 13 and 25, who are enrolled as full-time students in an accredited educational institution. Annual membership dues is thirty dollars ($30).
- Associate members: Members of other paddling clubs who wish to join WDBA. Annual membership dues is thirty-five dollars ($35).
Forms to download:
Membership Application [LINK: membership application]
What’s the story about Dragon Boats? Learn more!